Monday, February 21, 2011

Racial History Paper for Diversity in Education Class

My name is Ana Lucía Mora Demestri and I was raised in a country located in the heart of South America, Paraguay. My mother was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and she came to Paraguay when she was eight years old. My father was born in Paraguay. Some of my ancestors came from France and Italy and settled down in Argentina and Uruguay. Many of them also came to Paraguay. I would say I am Hispanic or Latin American. I think I am also white or Caucasian because my family came from Europe as well, but I identify myself as a Hispanic girl.

Throughout my life, I had contact with people from different races and countries. Paraguay is characterized for having white and dark skinned people. The reason for this is because some people came from Africa as slaves and had children with Paraguayans. Also, the Spanish people conquered Paraguay and had children with native Indians from Paraguay. Because of this, we have people of different skin color. I grew up interacting with people that had different backgrounds.
I also had the opportunity of meeting people from USA, Germany, and Argentina that came to help as volunteers in the orphanage were I was living with my mother. The couple that was in charge of this orphanage had also built a school, so many of these volunteers would come to help out. I loved interacting with them as much as I could. I was fascinated with people that were different than me and talked a new language. I absolutely loved English so I started taking classes when I was around 10 years old in a special program in the afternoon that was only in English. Most of the teachers were from USA. I had the opportunity of interacting with people that were native English speakers. I also had a class where I had to learn Guaraní, which is my second language. Learning new languages helped me learn new perspectives. My “narrow world” was expanded.
I have also traveled to other countries. My family and I went several times to Brazil. Experiencing the Brazilians and their culture was amazing. I really liked the openness, love for music, and happiness that characterizes them. Many of them love to dance and are very good at sports. Most of the Brazilians are dark skinned. I can understand Portuguese and Brazilians can understand Spanish because both languages are very similar.
When traveling to Argentina and Uruguay, I got the opportunity of learning from them as well. Many of the Argentineans have a strong personality and are very confident. I liked learning more from them and being in the country where my mom was born. Many of the people from Argentina and Uruguay are white and have green or blue eyes.
When I was 11 years old I had the opportunity of going to United States for two months. I visited Portland, Oregon; Las Vegas, and Los Angeles, California. This was one of my biggest experiences because I got a “hands-on experience” of the North American culture.
As I grew older, I worked with a brigade from Ireland that came to help people of my country that had scare resources. I also met people from Canada, England and different countries around the world. I had friends from different nations and races and this wasn’t abnormal to me. I enjoyed being with people from different countries. Even if I didn’t realize it at that moment, each of them added flavor to my life and helped me think “outside of the box”.
When I was 19 years old I came to the Sioux land of Iowa. I had the opportunity to travel to different states such as Minnesota, Oregon, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, among other places. And of course, I met people. Many of them had different perspectives and worldviews. They thought different about religion, ways to have fun, ways to do schooling, family, etc. I think that one of the most important lessons that I learned is to listen and be willing to change and be flexible. What is different is not necessarily a threat, but can be an opportunity to grow and learn. Experiencing diversity has helped me appreciate God’s world and people. How amazing and what a blessing this is!
One other experience that has helped me grow is meeting some indigenous tribes from Paraguay. I had the opportunity to meet several tribes and see how they “do life”. They wear different clothing than what Western culture people usually wear and they have other values. I learned more about how they live and about how we as a society have in many ways forgotten them. This experience helped me developed a greater sensitivity for minority groups that have been abandoned or marginalized.

There is one more experience about my racial history that I would like to share. When I first came to the States there was one particular situation where I think someone was being unfair and discriminating me. I won’t ever know for sure if this person was discriminating me or not, but I can say that the feeling of being left out and not included is horrible, especially if it is because of your country of origin or language. Many times, I feel “weird” or “out of place”. For example, this happens when someone tells a joke and everyone but me is laughing because I have no clue of what is going on. When this happen, I feel hurt but then I remember that God made me beautiful and that I should not lose focus of His purposes for my life. There is a reason why I was born in Paraguay and there is a reason why I am in the States right now. I think I can learn from people as much as they can learn from me. Sometimes I might learn more, sometimes they might learn more, but is in this interaction when beauty is displayed and shalom can happen. 
I also think of Hispanic people that I have met in the Sates. Some do not have legal documentation. I wonder how they might feel. Many of them are working in the USA to support their families that are living in their countries of origin. Some of them wish they could return home. Others just wish a brighter future. Some have not seen their families in 10, 15, 20, or more years and know that they might not see them ever again. This reality breaks my heart and has helped me understand a little more of the suffering and pain they are going through.
All of these experiences and many more are now written in my ex blank pages of the days of my life, helping me grow and mature. My goal is to be more like Christ. I realize that the nation where I was born and where I, if Christ does not return before, will die is already set in God’s eternal purposes. I also know that one day all the peoples will be worshiping Christ together. Revelations 5:9 says “And they sang a new song: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.” I praise the God of the Universe whom I serve. He never makes mistakes and his faithfulness lasts throughout all generations. I look forward to the day where our racial histories will be all joined together in one everlasting song to the King of Kings. Until that day, I pray for strength and courage to give my all to help bring unity to the body of Christ. I thank God for my racial history and I am excited for what is yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment