Friday, February 4, 2011

This is my name...

“My name is Ana Demestri” I caught myself saying one day. As I reflect back, I think something in that statement is missing. My mother’s name is Ana María Demestri. She usually says her name is Ana Demestri. I love being able to identify with my mother, but my name is Ana Lucia Mora Demestri. If I was in my own country, I would say “My name is Ana Lucía” or “My name is Analú”.

Many people here in the States can’t get the right pronunciation of my name right away and I opted to use Ana as an easier name. But I identify myself with Analú or Ana Lucía. I like this because it makes me feel like home, it makes me feel that I belong. Analú is my nick name and I like being called like that. This name has shaped me positively because, as I said before, it makes me feel that I belong, it makes me remember my people, friends, and family.

From now and on, next time I introduce myself I will try to say “My name is Analú”. Even if I have to repeat it again, I would because that is my name and that’s part of my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment