Friday, January 28, 2011

Stranger

Why does it hurt when you're different?
Why does it bother when you stick out?
All my fears and failures are on the table
And it is soon coming out.

If I say a word, you soon will notice
my accent might tell you, I am not from around
The way I think, the words I chose to speak
Perhaps the way I dress will give it out.

I remember when my friend
First told me "you're weird"
I am sure it wasn't her intention,
but inside of me I really thought I was

And you'll see, you might think that
Saying "you're weird" it's no big deal
But when you hear it over and over
Those two words start spinning, just like a wheel.

What is it with words
That can affect you for so long?
What is it with being different
That people can notice and can take it so wrong?

And yes, today I'm sad
I really hope that you don't mind
If I write out what I am feeling
And spell it out within these lines.

My sorrows change just like the seasons
From white to orange
From laughter to tears
It's not uncommon to feel my heart
a little broken, to be sincere

Speaking about sincerity,
uncomfortable feelings that come and go
Sometimes when I try to be authentic
I get rejected, so I forget the goal...

Of loving others and forgiving them
All the time, no matter what
I feel like shouting, running, and screaming
I feel like crying and all at once.

Believe me, I do have walls
That need still to be tear down
It's my desire to build a bridge
that will allow me to get closer...

Closer to the people that have hurt me
closer to the feelings I've been hiding
And let them go in just one instant
Like a balloon that wants to fly to the moon.

Why does it hurt when you're different?
Why does it bother when you stick out?
I ask myself over and over
knowing I'm scared to find the answers deep, deep down.

Lord, here I stand in front of you
No need to hide
Would you come and heal me? Would you forgive me?
Would you come and tell me what your sweet thoughts are?

If you come, I know everything will change
You know what it means, what it feels to be me
If you show up, I know you'll touch my heart
To remind me that you, too, were strange

You were a stranger to your own people
You were a foreigner in your own land
You have experienced rejection
And now you wanna hold my hand to tell me...

"I love you, my princess,
My daughter you're mine
You are not weird, you are beautiful
I'm so sorry someone has hurt your heart"

"It's okay, you can rest now
I'm holding you, you're in my arms
Remember I'm your Creator
I have made you with my own pure hands.

Now, would you do me a favor?
Next time someone tells you
That you're weird, tell them back
Did you know that I'm wonderfully and fearfully made?"

4 comments: